What was Roger McDowell Thinking?
LOVEMYTEAM.COM Fan Friendly Awards Fan Survey Online Poll
Johanna's View
by Johanna Wagner
What was Roger McDowell Thinking?
This post was written by Johanna Wagner on April 28, 2011
Posted Under: Johanna's View

I can’t spend too much time on this yet- but I am fascinated by the Roger McDowell incident.  He isn’t a spoiled kid playing baseball.  At this point, he must know this is a business.

According to one family in San Francisco, McDowell engaged in banter with three fans at AT&T park, where he used some very vulgar language and expressed some anti-gay sentiment.  Those fans haven’t come forward, yet, but a family who was standing nearby, who heard the entire exchange got involved.  The father of the family, asks McDowell to watch his language because of the children, including his own 9 year old daughters, and McDowell tells him that “children don’t belong at a f……. baseball park”.

Huh?

McDowell also allegedly threatens the father with a baseball bat.

What on earth could he have been thinking?

McDowell has apologized for engaging with the fans in the stands and responding to a heckler.  He has not said he apologizes for how he responded.  If this is become further documented, say by those three fans he originally started bantering with, McDowell will be out of baseball- no matter what he says.  All there is to it.

Just telling fans tht kids don’t belong at the ballpark is enough to get one out of baseball for a while.  Using profane language, and anti-gay sentiment at the same time, makes even the best pitching coach untouchable by a team.  Perhaps he leaves to go through some “sensitivity training,” though that won’t be enough to save McDowell’s reputation.

Bookmark and Share

Reader Comments

The two week suspension seems about right. You wanted the guy out of baseball? Seems very extreme….

#1
Written By alex baldman on May 1st, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

Two week suspension for telling one customer that you are going to bash his teeth in, and telling all the kids (who the whole entity has spent millions marketing to) that they don’t belong at a game? Interesting idea of caring for your customers, Mr. Capitalist.

#2
Written By Johanna Wagner on May 2nd, 2011 @ 7:40 am

The gods of political correctness are unforgiving. Take a away a man’s right to make a living? Wow….

#3
Written By alex baldman on May 2nd, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

I am simply saying he wouldn’t be a front-line employee for my team anymore. He has lots of opportunity to make a living. Maybe he becomes an instructor in the minor leagues…

But to tell kids they don’t belong at a ballpark? Come on, even you must not believe that it acceptable?

#4
Written By Johanna Wagner on May 3rd, 2011 @ 5:57 am

And I am going to add ‘what about some personal responsibility’ on McDowell’s part. He isn’t a 19-yr old kid, but a grown man… anyone else have a thought on this issue?

#5
Written By Johanna Wagner on May 3rd, 2011 @ 6:13 am

He should be suspended for using vulgar and threatening language toward fans. I could care less if he offended some homosexual pervert! I’m tired of them trying to cram their perverted lifestyle down our throats like it’s normal.

#6
Written By Billy Ishmael on May 3rd, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

I love the “even you” remark. No, actually I am in favor of cursing at kids at the ballpark. I say that because it is part of Paul Ryan’s deficit deduction plan, which I have blindly signed on to…

Obviously, I think McDowell was wrong. That is why I said in my first post that he should be suspended for two weeks… Even you should be able to comprehend that- right?

#7
Written By alex baldman on May 3rd, 2011 @ 6:31 pm

why don’t you guys just get a room

#8